12 March 06 - Clock, LEDs in the Panel, Baggage Floor Nutplates


One of the projects for today is to slap together the little panel that will go above the radio stack that contains all the little warning lights that we're going to put in the plane. It is one of those projects that has suffered from scope creep - originally, there were going to be two lights, and then three, and then pretty soon four. If I didn't drill this panel now, and thus finalize the decision, I have no doubt that the panel would look like a Christmas tree when we finally put all the lights in.

In any case, the little LED's are in there now. We've been trying LED's off and on for the last few weeks, and as none of the results have been successful, none of them have made it on the site. Actually, a few folks that I know are putting the standard issue Radio Shack LEDs in their panel, and as long as you can put these so that they are aimed pretty much at your face, they're good. If you have them in the radio stack, as we do, they're not really bright enough to be noticed in bright daylight. These ones are brighter, and with the chrome holder, should reflect enough light around so that you'll pretty much have to notice. Both the LEDs and the little holders came from the Alternate Energy Hobby Store website.


P1010263.JPG
As the ones towards the left being more likely to be noticed first, the lights that indicate more unhappy consequences are located farther in that direction. From left to right: auxilary light for the CO detector, alert for low oil pressure (triggered by the switch for the Hobbs meter), low voltage/alternator failure, the starter engaged light (it better go off after the engine has started), and a test switch that will light all of them up to make sure no one has burned out.
P1010276.JPG
Same thing, back view.

P1010277.JPG P1010275.JPG

Part of the project today was rewiring the clock, as the way it was wired yesterday produced some results that were - to put it mildly - not completely anticipated. On the left are the two diagrams that came with the clock, and that was about all that showed up by way of documentation. On the right is the (slightly) modified way of wiring the clock that we actually used. The goal here was to get it to act in a way that didn't surprise anyone without having to use more than one switch, which is there to reset the flight time. We're both more happy with this, I think it'll end up in the plane this way.


P1010268.JPG
Nutplates are in the sides of the baggage floors . . .
P1010273.JPG
. . . and in the back, now too. These are done.
P1010269.JPG
First warm day of the year, just about, and so the evening lent itself to having the garage door open, at least until the mosquitos showed up.

Having the baggage floors in there now means that is a lot easier to get into the back of the plane, so hopefully most of the details of things that have to go into place behind the baggage compartment will get finished - or at least started - in the next week or so. The controls need to go back in, the altitude hold needs to go back there, etc etc. I can look forward to lots of time lying on my stomach in the baggage compartment working on this stuff.




Previous log entry


Back to the log


Next log entry