22 Jan 06 - Scat Clamp, Panel, Mounting wings on a -9A

Interesting day, but not very productive in terms of bending metal: the neatest stuff was on a project down the road, and also exciting stuff showed up in the mail.

Air/oil separator from Van's. Not a clue how we're going to mount this, yet. We'll see.
One of two books that we ordered from Mattituck so we'll know more about this specific engine - this is the overhaul manual, and the other one - the parts catalogue - is on backorder. This is what you want for a Mattituck TMX-IO-360 (among other engines, I suspect).
P1010105.JPG P1010108.JPG
Futzing around with the panel - because of the width of the panel, labels that were previously easy to read no longer have the top half of them visible. Bummer! We'll probably try to move them down just a bit.

Before you email me and ask - yes, we could put them on the bottom of the panel, however, then the actual switch is in the way, so you don't typically see the whole word: "MASTER," for example, shows up as "MA...ER." So, yeah, we could do that, but if this works, it'll be better.

And now, for something completely different:

Scott Millhouse - 9A builder just around the corner from where we are - was mounting his wings this weekend and was kind enough to let us know that this was happening. As this is something that we haven't done yet (and are a little apprehensive about), it seemed like it would be worth helping Scott with this process.

The right wing was already on when we got there. They're playing with the wing root fairing, here.
Gas line run between the fuselage and the wing.
Left wing - this isn't on, it's just sitting on sawhorses now.
Another view of the right side of the airplane.
The sort of ingenuity that is necessary if you're building airplanes. Just for the record, though, it would have fit if Scott was building a 7 or 7A.
Sawhorses are gone and it's standing on its own! My dad says that the caption for this should be "No visible means of support," but I think I'm too young to get that.

Mounting the wings was much more of a non-event than I thought it was going to be: pretty much we just held the wing while Scott got in the cockpit and tapped the (hardware store, slightly undersized) bolts in. Wasn't too much trouble, and it got us so excited that we went home and measured the shop to see if we can fit the wings without having to leave the door open.

We can, so it looks like that's in the cards sometime soon. This fits with the plan of being able to paint before leaving the shop - getting the wing root fairings and everything match drilled is pretty much a necessity before painting.

Previous log entry

Back to the log

Next log entry