25 March 06 - Dynon relief holes, Panel prep, Panel Painting


The big project for today - well, really, there's a couple - is starting to think about how the Dynon wires are going to run. We're just about out of wiring as far as power distribution is concerned, but there's still plenty to do. Fun fun.


P1010032.JPG
For the EMS, the subpanel penetrations are fairly straightforward - there's enough room for them that pretty much all you've got to do is drill a hole for the wires. This would be worse if the instrument was longer. Fortunately, it's not.
P1010035.JPG
View from the front of all the EMS wires coming through the subpanel.
P1010036.JPG
The EFIS, however, is a different story. The instrument is long enough that you've got to be able to get the connector on and off while it's all in there. (Probably doesn't help that we have this flush mounted instead of putting it on the outside of the panel.)
P1010040.JPG
View from the back. The green/gray grommet material is from Aircraft Spruce.

Probably now is as good a time as any to say something about this nifty hinge we're using for the map box door. This is actually from Just RV Parts. They are currently marketing it as a flush hinge for the oil door. It's probably useful for that, too - at least I hope it is, because I bought another one in addition to this one that we're using here - but after we looked at it and pondered it for awhile, we decided to try to make it work as a map box door, and we're pretty darn pleased with the results. We're planning on finishing up the painting today and getting it all together for good tomorrow.


P1010043.JPG
We're hoping to paint the panel today, which means there's quite a bit of stuff on the glove box that needs to be done. Here, we're riveting the handle (just a bit of angle) to the front.
P1010044.JPG
By this point, the magnet on the inside is already riveted on, too, and the inside is painted the correct color.
P1010046.JPG
Now, we'll do all the riveting: Here, the glovebox is riveted to the panel.
P1010048.JPG
Hinge bracket is riveted to the panel. This needs to be done before painting in order to make the rivets get painted, too.
P1010061.JPG
Panel parts after painting: the inside glove box had to be masked off, and all the panel parts were painted at the same time.
P1010064.JPG
Painted panel parts. The glove box door is darker in order to make it stand out nicely.

The idea behind stripping all the paint of the panel and then repainting everything was because the textured paint that we're using for this has a tendency to make different textures if anything is different - thickness of the coat, temperature, humidity, whether the Nasdaq has gone up or down, etc. The theory was that the coat would be more consistent if we did it all at the same time, which almost sort of worked. Well, it's close enough.

For a complete change of topic, the weather here has recently warmed up and then got cold again - the weather is not sure yet if it's spring or not, but all the plants seem to be fairly certain that it is. In any case, the cherry trees in the backyard are in full bloom, so I walked out there to snap a bunch of pictures, two of which actually came out pretty well.


P1010052.JPG
Cherry blossoms . . .
P1010057.JPG
. . . more cherry blossoms.

Tomorrow we'll probably get the panel together, but that's probably it for nature photography in Alabama in the spring. It's beautiful out there, but the pollen count here is enough to send just about anyone that has ever even thought about maybe having allergies screaming for the indoors.

Well . . . that's been my experience.




Previous log entry


Back to the log


Next log entry